5 tips to consider when hiring a sales reps
When and if you decide to hire sales reps, I have a few tips to offer to make sure you sound savvy! They will most likely have a contract for you to sign, and that is normal, but be sure to note a few of my suggestions below so you get the best deal possible.
1. They will probably ask for free samples. That is normal. But be sure they have to pay you cost to replace anything that is lost or damaged.
2. They will require that you provide them with catalogs and/or linesheets. And YES, you do need to do that and mail them to the office. They will not print them for you. Ask them to email the linesheets when possible of course.
3. They may require you to participate in Tradeshows. If this is out of your budget, try to negotiate to attend "some" instead of all.
4. Some will have showroom fees that are monthly payments on top of commission. Be sure to ask about that before getting too excited. This can be negotiated as well in some instances. If you are hiring a Road Rep, they should only ask for commission on sales.
5. When paying commission, never pay in advance. Only pay for invoices that you have been paid for. You can use this Sample Commission form to help you keep track of paid invoices. Send one each month to your rep with the payment.
Hope this makes you sounds like a super savvy entreprenette.