6 June 2013 6 Comments
Do you procrastinate?
I have never ever ever ever ever ever…..been a procrastinator ……..until recently. I have found myself whiling away the time gardening, puttering around my new house, hiking, biking and frankly behaving like an alien has taken over my body and mind. There is part of me that loves it as it is so FUN, and then there is the “normal” part of me that is horrified that I am wasting even one second of my precious work day while my kids are in school.
Well, I have had to rein myself in and get back to the tasks at hand. I want to share some of the things I do to avoid the act of procrastinating while sometimes really wishing I still was!!!
The first thing I do to get back on track is to get up early (like 6 am :O)) and have my coffee while I answer emails, read the paper, read (or skim) any online subscriptions I receive (sometimes they give you great ideas first thing when your brain is not clogged up) and then make my kids lunches! I do all this in one hour.
Once I start my actual workday after the kids are in school (and I possibly exercise) I attack in hour intervals – it is hard for most people to stay focused for longer than that. Set your timer…..seriously!
- Make a list of the most important 10 things that YOU personally have to do yourself.
- Make a list of the next 10 things that someone else “could” do for you if you desired to job it out. These things can usually wait a bit.
- Spend the first 2 hours of your day answering email, doing any office-y things like processing orders, accounting, emails etc. Just get it out of the way. ONLY do that for the first 2 hours. (if you are like me, you got one hour done already at the crack of dawn).
- Start working on your to item task list spending one hour at a time and just keep plowing through. If you are designing that day, then just do that and don’t let other things distract you.
- Take a 15 minute break every hour. I suggest walking around, shake a leg, get a snack, and if you must……check your email but only for 15 minutes.
- Be nice to yourself for 30 minutes each day and procrastinate!
I think you will be surprised at how much you get done each day by chunking your time and tasks into bite size morsels……
If you have other great ideas – share them in the comments….love to know about it.