Home » Bootstrapping, Business, Customer Service, Drop Shipping, Nuts & Bolts, Sales, Start Up, Tips From The Entreprenette Handbook, Websites, Wholesale

Who To Hire First

5 March 2013 6 CommentsBy Sarah Shaw
How do you know who to hire first?

If you are doing your own shipping then I suggest hiring a part time person to take that over to free up your time. This is the most menial job you are doing (besides maybe cleaning your office) and can easily be passed on.  When I was shipping $1M a year, we had a guy who worked 2 days a week and got it all done!

Having someone else do this time consuming task will leave you time to do the things that bring in MORE money like sales and designing your next collection.   I know it can seem like it doesn't take much of your time to do the shipping, but if you time it out, you'll see it takes at least 8-16 hours  week if you are doing a minimum of $100K in sales.

Your list of duties might look like this for a potential shipping clerk:

a.     Retrieve internet and store orders 2 days a week and charge credit cards
b.     Fill orders
c.     Pack boxes and create shipping labels
d.     Arrange pick up with your carrier
e.     Put orders in Quickbooks and give you total sales for the week
f.      Review outstanding orders for stock status and check inventory report each Monday
g.     Highlight items that are less than 5
h.     Clean up their work station each day
i.      Sweep floors on Fridays
j.      Take out trash every day they work

Love to know how this works out for you!

• Kristen said:

Printing the list of duties and putting it on my board. I needed a good list of to-do’s for my soon to be “new” hire. As always, your tips are always on time!

• Katy said:

great tip, that is something that i have been spinning around in my head. Question? did you have this person on payroll? or did you 1099 misc them?

• Sarah Shaw (author) said:

Katy

If they work in your place of biz, you need to put them on payroll

Sarah

• Vicki Butler-Hagen said:

Great article, Sarah! You always know what questions are in my head and answer them before I ask!! Your help is priceless :-)
    Thanks so much,

Vicki

• Katy said:

do you have a recommendation for a good blog post that has a checklist/tutorial for “payroll 101″. I have always been “the one and only do all” for my business but as I expand and want to add more growth, having an employee is going to have to come into the picture at some point (sooner than later I hope). I just honestly do not know how to start with the admin side of doing it the right way. thanks :)

• Sarah Shaw (author) said:

I don’t know a good one off hand, but if you google, am sure you can find some. You can also look into payroll companies who do it for you.