Home » Branding, Business, Innovative ideas, Marketing, Networking, Nuts & Bolts, Public Relations, Sales, SEO, Startup, Twitter, Video, Websites, Wholesale

How to market a new product on-line

15 September 2010 12 CommentsBy Sarah Shaw

So you are ready to launch a new product and there are so many options these days…….are you wondering what is the best route to take?  My vote these days is video for the #1 way to launch a new product. Obviously you cannot leave out PR, social media or notifying your mailing list…but video is a super easy way to preview your new product and give a quick "show and tell" to the world.  A great example is a video by handbag designer Rebecca Minkoff who uses a video to show her new line in lieu of going to a tradeshow.  This can be a very cost effective way to get your line into the hands of buyers (both wholesale and retail) but you need to have a good list to send the link to – so be sure to keep building that list.  I asked my experts to contribute their ideas and share what works for them so you can do it better and smarter.

If you have a video please post it in the comments so we can all help you promote your launch!

• Maxine Tatlonghari said:

Great Tips Sarah! I did many of these when we launched. I launched with an eBay store and a Blog … both of which I built myself with just a little bit of tech savvy. Then I became a Socialite. Through my SmartyLA tribe, I learned how to Facebook, Twitter and Blog. Which led to my launch party with key influencers that I still collaborate with today. Which led to working with A-list makeup artists. Then I did a celebrity gifting campaign. And all of the above led to the serving the likes of Kim Kardashian, Carrie Underwood, Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, Cindy Crawford, CW’s Vampire Diaries, MTV, Disneyland Resorts and Harpo Productions.

All started with an eBay store and a blog. Of course I knew that our manufacturing and fulfillment structure was very strong … so I could really focus on building the brand and creating relationships with key influencers in my market.

• Todd-SpreadThe News PR said:

Great info Sarah!

I’ll share this with as many entrepreneurs as I can.

I love that you put PR at #1

Todd Brabender
    Spread The News PR, Inc.
    Generating media exposure for
    innovative products, services and experts.
    785.842.8909
    todd@spreadthenewspr.com
    LinkedIn Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/0/122/831

• CORLINE said:

Thank you for the great tips and information. I always love coming you site as I feel I always learn something new. Thanks.

• Beth said:

Hi,

I have a question about the first idea on the list~

Number 1- Launch PR. Are you talking about the company, Launchpr.com to send out news about a launch??

• CJ said:

Thanks so much for the article. I am very close to launching my website and initial product offering, so this was very timely and helpful!

CJ

• Katie @ SM Workshop said:

Wow these are really great tips! The biggest thing I keep hearing is tap into your current customers, people that have already purchased are most likely to purchase again. Great information, thanks!

• connie ozdil said:

Tks Sarah! good tips!

I think I am going to give the video a try. I think it is shown that people do sit and watch a video and making it fun tip.

+ making a connection with people the organic way. And I think people forgot to mention HARO to find free P.R.

cheers

Connie

• Daniel Eriksson said:

Impressive set of link partners you have there.
    I really will go through these links once my new project is online.

Daniel
    -CFS

• M said:

This is fantastic! Very very useful

• paula said:

great info! thanks for sharing!

• Todd said:

Wow. What a great list. Include us! – we feature new start up products. It’s a great way for companies to get exposure as we have a lot of people following our site!

• Louise said:

This was a really helpful article! I’ve just launched a new product and I’ll be sure to reference this list and make sure I do it all. I had already planned on making a video this week so I’m happy it comes highly recommended.

Thanks!